Sunday, June 24, 2012

Thurs June 21 & Fri June 22 pix later


Thursday June 21  Day 6

And we’re off and running again.  After another breakfast at the Awful Waffle, (aka Waffle house), I’m over the waffle house.  The greasy food is not agreeing with my gut.  At least I think that’s what it is.  Either way, I’m swearing off Waffle house for a bit.

We were on the road before 10 a.m. so I felt we were doing well.  It was a little sad leaving the Keys as it is so beautiful there, but once you’ve done all the touristy things, what else is there to do anyway?  And, quite frankly, I was ready for a better hotel.

The Days Inn was acceptable, clean.  But you can tell it wasn’t a high end hotel.  No fridge.  No coffee pot.  Pool was pretty nice, but the laundry facilities left something to be desired.  Decided not to use those! 

We drove from Key West to Stuart Florida in about 5 hours, give or take.  There we went to Mike’s house.  Mike is Tom’s older brother, by 9 years.  Tom had not seen Mike in 20+ years and of course, I had never met him.

Mike’s house was quite nice, quite beautiful decore, (by my standards, but I am rather eclectic myself).  He made us feel right at home and it was a comfy place to be.

We ate out at a place called Shrimpers.  Great seafood!  It was right on the water, so you could see the boats, the water, and it was warm, but not too hot.  We were able to sit outside and enjoy ourselves.  They had really good coconut shrimp.

After, we went to a small family bar/restaurant where one of Mikes’ favorite local bands was performing.   Tom and I took a turn on the dance floor….that doesn’t happen very often!    We only stayed about 90 min, maybe that long.  It was fun for us but of course, BOOOORRRRIIINNNGGG for Olivia. 

Back at the house, we chatted a bit, and then it was bedtime.

Just before bed, as per the usual many times a day, I checked my phone.  Chelsea had texted me “U up”  I am glad that I was.  She was very upset….this house buying process has turned into something of a nightmare and she needed to vent.

Slept well….more travels tomorrow.

Friday June 22 Day 7

Eyes popped open @ 6:20.  Go figure!  I managed to close the eyes for another 40 minutes.  Success!

It wasn’t too difficult to get up, and the morning was pleasant!  Coffee was made!  Yeah!!!!!   The little things sometimes….

We had breakfast at the Cracker Barrel.  Always a good choice for food….homecooking, fairly priced, decent portions. 



We headed out towards Tampa about 10 a.m. 

The trip was quick, uneventful!  We took the toll roads.  In one way they are kind of a pain, but travel sure is good on them.  Prices weren’t bad at all.

We arrived in Tampa.  Staying at the Springhill Marriott ….and I THOUGHT we were in Tampa.  (More on this later)….nice place.  A double bed suite with a sofa bed….hot tub, pool.   A REFRIGERATOR AND COFFEE POT!!!   Internet works well…..ahhhhh, decent hotels!

We met Judy, Angie and Jordyn for dinner in Tampa about 6.  Due to weather/traffic we were a few minutes late.  We rendezvoused at the Spaghetti Wearhouse.  It was a nice place, great atmosphere and wonderful food…but the company had it beat.  

It was wonderful beyond words to see my sister Judy.  She looked great.  She brought me an eagle shirt (one for Tom too!) and some eagle beads.  I can make earrings!!!!

Angie is so pretty. Some moments she had features and expressions like my own sweet Chelsea!  So cool to see that. 

And Miss Jordyn….so very cute.   I loved her sweet little laugh.  It was wonderful to see the closeness the three of them share and to be included in part of that, even for a little while was beyond words.

During the evening we were chatting about where we were staying….and they found out that although I am a brunette, I have very blonde roots.  The hotel that we are staying in is quite literally 15 min from Judy’s house, 10 min from Angie’s work….I thought we were across town from them, actually in Tampa. We aren’t! And because I wasn’t clear on exactly where we were, they were sweet and tried to save us a trip across town, therefore, they picked a restaurant IN TAMPA….26 miles away from all of us.  OOOOOPPPSSSSS>  Sorry ya’ll……  Guess that teaches us all, if you want to know where we are, ask Tom, not Janet. 

Everyone at least had a good laugh out of that one!

Anyway, parting company was hard.  I shed a few tears.  It had just felt so good to be in family company.  Family that accepted me, didn’t criticize me, my actions, no one asked well is your daughter still smoking?  Are you still smoking/drinking? None of that…and that wasn’t from the entire other side,  but certain members….and it was hard to deal with and made me want to and did distance myself from them. 

When we lived away, for 20 years, and other people would have family over for holidays, I would often dream of having some of MY family over….wellll…..that hasn’t exactly worked out as well as I had hoped.  Tom’s family is great; but they have their own traditions…or not.  Some of them don’t celebrate holidays……and my family that was close to me in TN ….  Just weren’t open and accepting….and  one was often very critical of everyone and every thing all the time.  So, like I said, distance.

But tonight, it felt great!  And I loved every minute of the visit!  Maybe sometime in the not too distant future we can do this again!

I teased Judy she had to come up for Bonnaroo and Angie for CMA’s Fan Fest.

Now we are back at the hotel.  Checked in with my own older kids, making sure the fur babies are still okay.  Snack time and soon bedtime.  Off and running again tomorrow…breakfast with Angie and Jordyn, then hit the road to Panama City Beach.

Saturday June 23 Day 8

Time to travel again.  Tour de Florida.

Were able to sleep in a little AND have breakfast with Angie and Jordyn!   We found a Bob Evans restaurant!  That was a delight in and of itself. Its funny how you miss little things like your own coffee pot!

We were seated and the server brought us coffee mugs AND A WHOLE pot of hot coffee…Livvy got her mug with tea and a small mug of hot water!!!!   The server even had a sense of humor!   Life is good.

Angie and Jordyn arrived and the hour or so we were able to visit and chat with them was a treasure.  Jordyn is so beautiful and such a sweet spirit.  In Angie, beyond her own sweet self I see hints of my own wonderful Chelsea.

It was a little hard to part company and I was kicking myself for not knowing I was so close to Judy and we could have visited more.  L  Oh well, maybe next time. Mentally I started figuring out another trip….  It just felt so good to be with them.

Anyway!  On the road, Tampa /St. Pete to Panama City Beach.

60  55 45 35

60  55  45  35

60 55 45  35

60  55   45  35

Repeat that for nearly 8 hours.  That’s the trip up the coast.  Initially we took the toll road which isn’t heavily traveled and has a decent speed.  THEN IT ENDS.  If we had taken 75, which likely would have been the better choice, #1.  We would have traveled a better speed.  #2.  Not lost our GPS signal. #3.  Would have taken us 50 miles out of the way…but we would have probably arrived about the same time.

THEN we get here and hit the tourist traffic  …. YIKES>   and I was driving.  I hate driving and I really hate driving in traffic.

Oh well, after some searching, we called the hotel and located them.  We are in a very nice room, but it is only for one night.  Due to the error in dates, we have this hotel today and then move tomorrow.  And that wouldn’t be a problem, except, we check out @ 11 and can’t check back in til 3.  Okay it s PCB…..plenty to do.

Now say hello to Debby, TROPICAL STORM DEBBY that is.  L

Okay, unplanned event.

So we grabbed some dinner at Sonny’s bbq.  This was one of our favorite places to eat when we lived in Jacksonville.  It was cheap, all three of us had full meals plus drinks for under $25.  And full????  My belly hurt…I had a puppy tummy!!!!  It was delicious!

After, we were able to come back to the hotel and Olivia and Tom swam in the pool for about 30 min to burn off some of the energy that she had pent up.  I was sleepy….but managed to sit and watch them for a bit.

Now to figure out what to do on Sunday between hotels.  Driving up the coast to Pensacola to the Navy museum doesn’t seem likely with a tropical storm out there….hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  challenges………

*****************************************************************************


3 Comments:

At June 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM , Anonymous SuttonsDaze said...

Great posts! I was wondering if you were going to run into Debby.
It sounds like you're having a great time!

 
At June 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM , Blogger JudyEddy said...

Love you blog sis but you were only 2min from Angies work and less than 10 min from me You had a clear moment like LYNNE2 on the blog says

 
At June 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM , Blogger JudyEddy said...

anyone having issues posting on her blog after you type in the robot code click on the edit link and then publish and it goes on don't know were the publish button is but it works this way SEE

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home