Thursday, June 21, 2012

June 20 Day 5


Wed June 20 Day 5

After an adventurous Tuesday, Wednesday was to be quiet!!!

We slept in.  Even I slept til almost 8.  I knew the weather wasn’t going to be “beach” weather and truth be told, I was wiped out.

So I got up, checked bank account and paid my bills (yes, the mundane must be taken care of on vacation!) and then I could play some more.

As I said, there was an 80% chance of rain.  Given that, the weather was actually quite nice.  It was dry most of the day.  It was extremely humid though.

After breakfast at the waffle house, we opted to go to the beach.  All the time that Tom’s been here before, he never went to the beach.  The seas were still rough, the wind quite brisk, so going in the water didn’t appeal to us, but walking on the beach, taking a few pictures did.

There were some young men out wind surfing.  They had themselves harnessed to crescent shaped parachutes and had boards, like snow boards, strapped to their feet.  They were interesting to watch.  If you want a total body work out that appears to be the thing to do!

I am amazed at the plant life down here.  There are trees that remind me of something out of a Dr. Suess book! 

The day was spent shopping.  We revisited the dock where we caught the Freedom II.  There were a few items there I wanted to go.  We didn’t buy a t shirt from the Freedom II and inquired if we could purchase one there.  No,  these can only be purchased on board the ship.  Therefore we missed out…oh well, its okay.

We parked near the famous Duval street and walked around for about an hour.  We picked up a few things and ate lunch at the famous Hogsbreath Saloon.  Olivia was less than impressed.  She liked the pigeons that were wandering around our feet and she fed them some left over bread and crunched up chips…

Its hard to be 11.  It’s a pain to be in that tweener age……between childhood and teenage hood.  Olivia wanted this half shirt.  I had no problem with her having one, however, we had to find one her size.  Well, they only came in adult sizes which are huge on her.  I would not allow her to have a shirt she couldn’t wear for another 2 years and that really upset her.  I felt bad on one hand for her and frustrated on the other.  Being the parent of a tweenager is sometimes a loosing battle!

The rest of the day was quiet.  We finally did find a cropped shirt for her.  It had smocking on the bottom so that it fit her. 

We spent a quiet nite having dinner, packing and getting ready for our trip to Stuart Florida in the morning.

This place is a little hard to leave.  Sometimes, in my fantasies, I think I’d love to live here.  However, reality kicks in, and then I say, uh no.  I’ll visit again sometime.  The water, the colors, have me so hooked.  I remember the first time I saw them, I flew down to the Keys when I was pregnant with Chelsea, so 26 years ago this past January.  I was amazed with the colors and still am.  The warm weather isn’t as hot as Nashville, there’s always a breeze….but the thought of moving…of packing, of preparing, etc….no moving here is not likely to happen.  But that’s okay, as I said earlier, I can always visit!

Now, onto day 6….been a super visit to Key West.  Now on to more fun and adventure!

*******************************************************************


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home